Fairmount Has Fine Nightlife Near Eastern State Penitentiary
The interior courtyard at Eastern State Penitentiary, on Fairmount Avenue - for a better view, just click directly on the photo to enlarge it.
/ CC BY 3.0
The Philadelphia neighborhood of Fairmount is primarily a residential, rather than commercial, neighborhood. Accordingly, it's not as easily accessible as, for example,
- to use just two examples. Beyond the normal alertness you ought to have in any urban environment, you should exercise additional caution, particularly if you're from out of town.
The Two Major Fairmount Attractions - Eastern State Penitentiary and the Philadelphia Museum of Art
Due to its residential character, there are only two major attractions in Fairmount, separated by several blocks.
Eastern State Penitentiary
For more on Eastern State, click on our
Eastern State Penitentiary
main page, as well as our
Eastern State Penitentiary - Traveling to the Fortress
guide to getting there.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art
For more on its world-class art collection - as well as its world-famous
- take a look at our main
Philadelphia Art Museum
Traveling to Fairmount? Here's Our Guide
We think that Fairmount is sufficiently worthwhile, that we've created our
Traveling to Fairmount Guide
- specifically, to cover all the different ways of traveling there, with detailed descriptions of the advantages and drawbacks of each. Check it out...
Where to Eat and Drink in Fairmount
We've tried to organize these geographically, starting at the Art Museum and heading east toward Eastern State Pen.
Lucky 7 Tavern
- 747 N. 25th Street - two blocks north of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and just three blocks west of Eastern State Penitentiary - 215.232.7736 - Mon - Fri: 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Sat & Sun: 11:00 AM - 2:00 AM - Kitchen Open Until 1:00 AM, 7 Nights A Week
- 726 N. 24th Street, Philadelphia - 215.232.3232 (note the easy to remember phone number) -
Happy hour every weeknight from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Hours of operation:
* Lunch: Tues – Fri. 11:30 AM – 3:00 PM * Dinner: Mon – Sat. 4:30 PM – 11:00 PM, Sunday 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM * Sunday Brunch: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
The London Grill
- 2301 Fairmount Avenue - Philadelphia, PA 19130 . 215.978.4545.
- Rembrandt's Restaurant and Bar - 741 North 23rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130 - (Corner of 23rd & Aspen Streets, in the Art Museum Area - 215.763.2228 - Outside of Philadelphia? 1-800-REMBRANdts
The Bishop's Collar
- 2349 Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19130 - 215.765.1616 -
The Bishop's Collar's official slogan is "Salvation by the Pint", which we think is witty. (You should note that when trying to find it online, they clearly couldn't get the rights for anything close to their name - their URL is "thecollar.us" - it's linked above, for your convenience.
Ironically, our recommendations for the Bishop's Collar is the Sunday brunch.
- 2130 Fairmount Ave • Philadelphia PA, 19130 - 215.232.9000
Monday-Friday - 11:30am to 4:00pm
Monday-Saturday - 5:00pm to 10:30pm
Sunday - 4:00pm to 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday Brunch -11:00am to 3:00pm
Monday-Saturday - 3:00pm-10:30pm
* Bar Menu is often only available at the Bar
- The official site notes that in addition to being just five blocks from the Art Museum, Jack's Firehouse is just 100 feet away from Eastern State Pen, which is true - it's directly across the street. A 19th-century firehouse was converted into this upscale dining establishment.
In terms of the food, we don't think as highly of this place, as it's overpriced relative to the ambience. But others like it.
The Urban Saloon - 2120 Fairmount Ave - Philadelphia, PA 19130 - 215.808.0348 - - You may have noticed that there is no link to The Urban Saloon. This is because they apparently do not have an official web site.
However, we would like to recommend a piece by Jessica Beym of Philly2Philly.com, who is the author of an impressive set of reviews of Fairmount bars and restaurants. Follow this link -
Philly2Philly Hop Stops features Urban Saloon, Jack's Firehouse, Belgian Cafe
... This review covers The Urban Saloon, well.
The Belgian Cafe
- 21st and Green Streets - 215.235.3500 (another easy to remember phone number)- Bar: 11:30 AM - 2:00 AM - Kitchen: 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM Sunday through Thursday; 11:30 AM - 1:00 AM Friday and Saturday - Brunch: Saturday and Sunday, 11:00> AM - 4:00 PM
On the Other Side (the East Side) of Eastern State Penitentiary
St. Stephen's Green
- 1701 Green Street, Philadelphia PA, 19130 - intersection of 17th and Green Street, a few blocks from Eastern State Pen - 215.769.5000 - Open Monday through Friday, 11:30 AM - 2:00 AM; Saturday, 11:00 AM - 2:00 AM; Sunday, 11:00 AM - 2:00 AM
If you'd like to return to the Home Page of Enjoying Philadelphia, please click here.